Wednesday, June 30, 2010

School, medication and long term plans...

This last school year ended on a good note, I was able to call an emergency IEP meeting and asked for the professionals at the MS that would be dealing with Dyl be there as well (counselor, principal, etc). There were approx 9 people in total at this meeting not including myself, I was very pleased to see that Dylan's education was being taken so seriously.

I admit, I have not always been fair about our local public school system. There have been times in the last few years out of my frustration that I have said things about the quality of the system here that really were not fair, at least in terms of the actual people who do the work (teachers, other school professionals etc). I really think now looking back and truly believe that in a way I wasn't being fair in a lot of ways, however I think I see the bigger picture now. That meeting in my mind was evidence that the schools DO care...the problem that remains however is that despite all of the effort by myself and essentially the school of which he is/will attend, unless Dylan gets some real tangible social training in an intensive environment....all of our hard work will only amount to so much.

I use the example of a friend who is very dear to me and also has a son with Aspergers. Her son recently graduated. Upon his graduation he was so thankful to be done he didn't want to walk to get his diploma. Knowing this kid (he's a really neat kid btw!) and knowing his parents who are wonderful people who have tried really hard to help their son through his school years , while part of me laughed at his *ready to resign* mindset, part of me also grieved the situation as well. Not because his parents hadn't done their best, but because I feel that the system could have done so much MORE for this kid. He is incredibly intelligent, nearly genius in some areas. His biggest obstacle at times can be the rigidity that Aspie's tend to have. Dylan too has this of course and this is precisely why trained individuals need to be involved here. There have been more than one occasion of personal Aide's working with Dyl, who while well meaning and supportive, lost interest and even became bitter and slightly hostile toward him because of the ongoing behavior. This poses a huge problem because Asperger's cannot be cured...we can lay down plans, rules and even circumstances to help them succeed but there will still be hard times, rough days and major set backs, not to mention meltdowns on any given day with no warning.

The problems arise when people who are not trained to deal with kids like Dyl and my friends son are in charge of the situations. As a mom to an aspie I can tell you, you get your moneys worth everytime a meltdown occurs. There are times where I think i've got him calmed and he still pulls out a new and exciting twist lol. So my thinking is that the people whoa re responsible for his schooling and daily learning ought to be fully and specifically trained in all things Autistic spectrum, no exceptions.

The problem with this of course is as of today in Monroe County MI, no such thing exsists. In my mind this is nothing short of tragic because I see kids like my friends son who has so much to give and it pains me for Dyl and his future. I would love to think that my son is capable of going onto college once he graduates, and that he could somehow channel that drive he has LOL and that brain power into something positive that would help him give back. Ultimately that is my goal for him ad for other kids like him in the area we live in.

This is my focus....to have a school started here locally in our county that is full time and geared specifically for kids in the AS. It would range from age 3 (preschool) through 12th grade and be fully staffed with personnel who had specific training in teaching and guiding kids like Dyl. Also counselors and at LEAST 1 hour a day geared specifically toward social training (maybe more for kids that need it).

I know there is a school norht of here in Garden City that is similar to what I'm thinking, my goal this fall is to go tour their school too get an idea of what I want for Monroe county and then somehow go about making this dream a reality no matter what it takes.

The good news for this year at least is that the new pricipal at our MS is none other than the amazing Mrs. Flynn who was asst. prin at the elementary Dyl went too 2 years ago and was at for 3 years, so she knows Dylan like the back of her hand. This gives me some peace at least for this year in terms of how things will go on bad days.

Also, medication.
Ah...the loaded gun subject lol! Well i am happy to say that after much prayer and thought I have decided to stop medicating Dylan and have done so. My biggest issue with the meds were it didn't allow him to be who he was, and thus in my mind allow him to learn truly to deal with who he was and overcome in a right manner. He has been off the meds for nearly 2 weeks now and while his obsessiveness has been a little more than usual, I can't say I've noticed anything out of the ordinery so to speak. he also likes not having to take it, and I think that was key in this, he is getting old enough to where he will be able to make those kind of decisions soon and I felt like his input while not the end deciding factor was still somewhat important.


In a side note....Dylan and I competed in his (and mine!) first ever 5K race last Saturday and he took 2nd place in his age category!!! So proud of him...all those years of running out of the classroom have finally paid off ;) ROFL!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment